Friday, December 7, 2007

Bonus Blog: Predictions for the Future




After learning about the Psychology of Social Computing this past semester, it is evident that many of the theories/phenomena we discussed will remain relevant in years to come while others will need to be altered as rapid changes in technology occur.

The Media Richness Theory is one theory that I think will hold true. According to the Media Richness Theory, people use richer media (FTF) for more equivocal tasks and leaner media for less equivocal tasks (CMC). I think that this theory will remain true because in time, the focus on efficiency has increased. If you think about society today people rarely use the phone anymore (a richer media) for quick questions. Instead, there is text messaging and even blackberries have made it possible to send quick emails. In time, I predict the focus on efficiency will only increase and CMC communication will be utilized even more often for unequivocal tasks.

The phenomena of online social networks will also hold true. Haythornwaite explains that online communities are like one big in-group. Gemeinschaft or a community is based on strong interpersonal ties, shared focus or purpose and common language identity. I think as technology increases, online communities will become even stronger and greater. People will be able to connect with similar others despite location differences. Especially with our generation and the use of facebook, keeping in touch with people from the same school is now possible as a result of CMC. Even moving out of the transfer center sophomore year, I was able to stay in touch with many of my friends and make plans to see them face to face through social networking. As more people log online and more online networks are created, I think that technology will play a large role in connecting people of similar interests around the world. I think social support groups will also increase in time as more people become familiar with the internet.

My prediction is that as our society becomes more technologically advanced, the hyperpersonal model will not be as relevant. The hyperpersonal model predicts that after an initial interaction in CMC, a person will rate their CMC partner on fewer characteristics and these ratings will be more intense or exaggerated. As skpe, youtube and other video sites become more popular, I think chatrooms, instant messages, facebook will begin to apply this technology and as a result the difference between FTF and CMC impression formation will decrease. The basis behind the hyperpersonal model is that there are “limited social and interpersonal cues” in CMC. However, if real-time video use increases, social and interpersonal cues will be more recognizable over CMC. Selective self presentation will be more difficult because now you will be able to see the person and the ability to mask your negative traits and nonverbal cues will not be as easy.

I also think that the use of CMC for digital deception will change as a result of an increase in technology. People use CMC for digital deception because there are less cues, users can take more time and edit remarks before sending. I think that message and identity deception will decrease because using CMC will become more similar to interacting FTF. As I explained before, the use of video will make deception more difficult. I also predict that the use of the internet will become more synchronous in all respects. Instant feedback has become a necessity in society and this makes it harder to deceive another online.

The use of video technology will need to be addressed. When it is appropriate to have an online FTF interaction and when is it not necessary is certainly an issue. I could see instant messaging in the future turning into some kind of FTF video interaction but I do not think this may be necessary for changing email or facebook. Also, as CMC is used more often, an issue that must be addressed is assuring FTF interaction does not decline. As kids spend more and more time on the internet instant messaging and playing games, society needs to make sure this does not take away from everyday social activities.

I thoroughly enjoyed COMM245 and I think that what we learned about is very relevant to society today. Currently, I am writing a thesis on the use of facebook and social network sites by employers and I would be interested to know the extent that these sites are being used to find out more information about potential and current employees. Overall, thanks for a great semester!

2 comments:

Jillian Moskovitz said...

Hey Katelyn,

I really enjoyed reading your blog. I really liked how you really related it to how we are changing and then compared that to how the theories will evolve/stay the same. I thought that your remarks about blackberries as well as what will happen to society and kids as we spend more and more time online is the bitter truth and that we need to take precautions so that the next generations are not sociall inept or awkward. I really feel like you looked at everything from all points and covered most of the major bases which is interesting to read about and realize how pertinent it all is. Technology is definitely taking over all aspects of our lives!! I am very interested in how your thesis turns out -- good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.